Disney has confirmed their upcoming live action film release schedule, officially putting into production a number of their properties after the huge success of Jungle Book. Check out the confirmed titles below as well as a list of all those currently rumored to be in production. The list comes courtesy of Screen Rant.
- The Jungle Book 2, a sequel to the hit currently playing in theaters. Jungle Book director Jon Favreau and screenwriter Justin Marks will also work on the followup.
- Maleficent 2, a sequel to the 2014 Sleeping Beauty re-telling. Angelina Jolie will reprise as the eponymous character, with Maleficent screenwriter Linda Woolverton penning the script.
- A Wrinkle in Time, the adaptation of the Madeleine L’Engle fantasy novel being written by Jennifer Lee (Frozen) and directed by Ava DuVernay (Selma).
- Cruella, a Cruella de Vil-centered film starring Emma Stone (as the movie’s namesake) and scripted by Saving Mr. Banks co-writer Kelly Marcel.
- Jungle Cruise, a film adaptation of the popular Disney theme park attraction that has Dwayne Johnson attached to star, with Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Crazy, Stupid, Love; Focus) writing the script.
- Dumbo, a live-action adaptation of the Disney animated film that Tim Burton will direct, based on a script by Ehren Kruger (The Brothers Grimm, Transformers 3 & 4).
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, a re-telling of The Nutcracker fairy tale that is being directed by Lasse Hallström (Chocolate, The Hundred-Foot Journey) and written by relative newcomer Ashleigh Powell.
- A Tinker Bell movie, starring Reeese Witherspoon as the famous Peter Pan pixie and penned by Finding Dory co-writer Victoria Strouse.
- Mary Poppins 2, a sequel set to star Emily Blunt and Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, with Rob Marshall (Chicago, Into the Woods) directing.
Surprisingly missing from the list is the previously confirmed Beauty and the Beast (which has a release date for March 17, 2017). There are many other live-action Disney adaptations that have been announced, but are yet to receive release dates such as Pinocchio written by Peter Hedges; Mulan written by Elizabeth Martin and Lauren Hynek; Sword in the Stone written by Brian Cogman; Winnie the Pooh written by Alex Perry; Night on Bald Mountain; and spinoffs about Prince Charming, Genie (which could potentially set up a new Aladdin) and Snow White’s sister.
In addition to the announced films, Disney also provided release dates for unknown films. The placeholder title for these movies are “Untitled Disney Fairy Tale (Live-Action)” and will be released on July 28, 2017, April 6, 2018, August 3, 2018, December 25, 2018, and December 20, 2019.
Which titles are you most looking forward to? Join in the discussion below.